Monday, January 24, 2011

Pollution Threats to the Ohio

For my first post, I wanted to start out local to get us thinking on a smaller scale:

The Ohio River is an important river on the southern edge of Ohio and the northern side of Kentucky. This river is a major tributary of the Mississippi and is used for things from drinking water to transportation.

A majority of Ohio's water pollution comes from:
-construction
-logging
-urbanization
-mining
-agriculture


If you want more imformation about pollution in the Ohio River, check out this link:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=22451

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad we learned what point and nonpoint source pollution is...those two factors have a huge role in the pollution of the Ohio River. I never knew the Ohio River was this polluted, it was a big suprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think it's possible that this pollution makes the Ohio River unswimmable? I've never really heard of anyone swimming in the Ohio River, it seems the the Little Miami and Miami Rivers are the ones mainly used for recreational purposes and swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, I think the Ohio River is unswimmable because of all the boat traffic, but I am sure the pollution is a factor of why people cannot swim in the ohio river!

    ReplyDelete